When you hear “10 km,” it might sound like quite a distance, but in reality, it’s a common goal for charity walks and mini-walking tournaments.
More importantly, a 10 km walk is an excellent way to get in some cardiovascular exercise. But have you ever wondered how long it takes to walk 10 km?
How to convert 10 km into miles? For those who might be more familiar with that unit. A 10 km walk is approximately equivalent to a 6.2-mile walk.
Table of Content
How Long Does It Take To Walk 10 Km On Different Paces?
Usually, a healthy individual takes around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to cover a distance of 10 km (or 6.2 miles) when walking at an average speed.
However, it’s important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to how long it takes to walk 10 km.
The duration varies depending on several factors, including:
- Easy Walk / 80 to 99 Steps Per Minute: An easy stroll, with around 80 to 99 steps per minute, will have you covering 12 Km in approximately 2 hours and 24 minutes.
- Moderate Walk / 100 to 119 Steps Per Minute: If you pick up the pace, walking at about 100 to 119 steps per minute, it will only take 2 hours to walk 12 Km.
- Fast Walk / 120+ Steps Per Minute: For the speedsters out there, a brisk pace of 120+ steps per minute means you can conquer 12 Km in just 1 hour and 30 minutes.
|Walking Pace||Time to Cover 10 Km of Walking|
|Easy Walk / 80 to 99 Steps Per Minute||2 Hours and 05 Minutes|
|Moderate Walk/ 100 to 119 Steps Per Minute||1 Hour and 40 Minutes|
|Fast Walk / 120+ Steps Per Minute||1 Hour and 10 Minutes|
Consider looking into information How Long Does It Take To Walk 15 Miles? Side Effects Of Walking?
Our research on walking enthusiasts and professional walkers has shown some interesting trends:
- Younger individuals tend to walk at a faster pace than older people.
- Men generally walk slightly faster than women, with all other factors being equal.
- People with longer legs tend to cover the ground more quickly than those with shorter legs.
- People who enjoy walking as an activity, even for daily tasks like going to the market or school, tend to walk faster than individuals who are less accustomed to walking.
Average Time to Walk 10 Km Based On Age and Gender
Let’s take a closer look at how age and gender affect the time it takes to complete a 10 km walk.
20-29 Years Old
Male: An average speed of 4.89 km/h would take around 2 hours and 03 minutes
Female: With an average speed of 4.82 km/h, it would take about 2 hours and 05 minutes.
30-39 Years Old
Male: At an average speed of 5.14 km/h, you could complete the 10 km in 1 hour and 57 minutes.
Female: Maintaining an average speed of 4.82 km/h would mean a time of 2 hours and 05 minutes.
40-49 Years Old
Male: With an average speed of 5.14 km/h, you can expect to finish in 1 hour and 57 minutes.
Female: An average speed of 5.00 km/h would take around 2 hours.
50-59 Years Old
Male: An average speed of 5.14 km/h results in a time of 1 hour and 57 minutes.
Female: At an average speed of 5.71 km/h, it would take about 2 hours and 07 minutes.
60-69 Years Old
Male: With an average speed of 4.82 km/h, you could complete the 10 km in 2 hours and 04 minutes.
Female: Maintaining an average speed of 4.45 km/h would mean a time of 2 hours and 15 minutes.
70-79 Years Old
Male: At an average speed of 4.53 km/h, you can expect to finish in 2 hours and 12 minutes
Female: An average speed of 4.07 km/h would take around 2 hours and 28 minutes.
80-89 Years Old
Male: With an average speed of 3.49 km/h, you can expect to complete the 10 km in 2 hours and 52 minutes.
Female: Maintaining an average speed of 3.37 km/h would mean a time of 2 hours and 28 minutes.
Intriguing information How Long Does It Take To Walk 15 Km? Steps, Benefits, and More
The Duration of Walking 10 Km Walk On the Treadmill
Have you ever wondered if walking 10 km on a treadmill is any different from walking outdoors? The answer might surprise you.
In general, a 10 km walk on a treadmill takes an average of 2 hours and 5 minutes when walking at a moderate speed of 4.8 km/h. Interestingly, this time is quite similar to walking outdoors.
However, walking on a treadmill might be slightly faster due to the absence of outdoor obstacles, such as people, bikes, cars, or harsh weather conditions.
Here’s a breakdown of the time it takes to walk 10 km on a treadmill at different speeds:
|Treadmill Speed / Miles Per Hour||Km Per Hour||Time Consumption For 10 Km|
|2.5||4:00||2 Hours and 29 Minutes|
|2.6||4.11||2 Hours and 24 Minutes|
|2.7||4.32||2 Hours and 18 Minutes|
|2,8||4.45||2 Hours and 13 Minutes|
|2.9||4.67||2 Hours and 09 Minutes|
|3.0||4.82||2 Hours and 05 Minutes|
|3.2||5.15||1 Hour and 57 Minutes|
|3.3||5.31||1 Hour and 53 Minutes|
|3.4||5.48||1 Hour and 50 Minutes|
|3.5||5.63||1 Hour and 47 Minutes|
|3.6||5.80||1 Hour and 43 Minutes|
|3.7||5.95||1 Hour and 41 Minutes|
|3.8||6.11||1 Hour and 38 Minutes|
|3.9||6.27||1 Hour and 36 Minutes|
|4.0||6.42||1 Hour and 33 Minutes|
Is Walking 10 Km Daily Good for Your Health?
Yes, walking 10 km a day offers a host of benefits. Here are some of the advantages:
- Low-Intensity Exercise: It’s suitable for recovery from injuries, especially when walking at a slow pace.
- Training for Longer Walks: It’s an excellent starting point for those aspiring to participate in marathon and half-marathon walks.
- Calorie Burn: Combined with a healthy, low-calorie diet, walking 10 km a day can aid in weight loss.
- Heart Health: Two hours of walking can help prevent cardiovascular issues like high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Is 10 Km a Day Too Much Walking?
Walking 10 km a day, which roughly translates to 2 hours of walking, can be demanding. It’s advisable to incorporate rest days between your walking days.
Additionally, mixing in lower body strength activities helps in reducing fatigue and the risk of injury.
Walking 10 km takes about 2 hours at an average pace. Experienced walkers or those with a faster stride may complete it in approximately 90 minutes. Remember, like any activity, it gets easier with practice and dedication.