The 3 km walk, often known as the 3K walk, is a staple of short and enjoyable walks, often associated with charity events. It’s crucial to clarify that a 3K walk isn’t about counting 3,000 steps; it’s about covering a 3-kilometer distance.
This distance is a popular choice, especially for individuals looking to recover from injuries. It strikes the right balance, offering a decent amount of active recovery while preventing excessive fatigue.
On average, walking 3 kilometers burns around 150 calories. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for an effective way to stay active without overexerting yourself.
An average man or woman can complete this distance in roughly 30 to 36 minutes. If you’re walking briskly at a pace of 6 km/h, you’ll cover 3 km in just 30 minutes. Meanwhile, at an average pace of 5 km/h, it’ll take you about 36 minutes to reach your 3 km goal.
If you’re thinking about participating in a 3K walk or incorporating it into your fitness routine, you’ll need to estimate your own completion time. The good news is that your initial time might differ significantly from your duration after some practice.
How long is 3 km really? To put it in perspective, 3 km is approximately equivalent to 1.86 miles, 3000 meters, or 9842.52 feet. In other words, you’ll be walking a distance of about 1.86 miles during a 3 km walk.
Table of Content
What Time is Required for a 3 Km Walk at a Different Pace?
The time it takes to complete a 3 km walk varies based on your walking pace. Here’s a breakdown:
- Slow Walk (3 km/h): This leisurely pace, which equates to around 60 to 79 steps per minute, takes approximately 1 hour to complete a 3 km walk.
- Easy Walk (5 km/h): Walking at a moderate pace of 80 to 99 steps per minute, you’ll finish your 3 km journey in about 36 minutes.
- Moderate Walk (6 km/h): Stepping up the pace to around 100 to 119 steps per minute, it’ll take you roughly 30 minutes to complete 3 km.
- Fast Walk (8 km/h): For those who can maintain a brisk pace of 120 or more steps per minute, you’ll finish a 3 km walk in about 23 minutes.
|Walking Pace||Time to Cover 3 Km Of Walking|
|Slow Walk (3 Kph)||1 Hour|
|Easy Walk (Kph)||36 Minutes|
|Moderate Walk (4 Kph)||30 Minutes|
|Fast Walk (5 Kph)||23 Minutes|
Mind that these times can vary for individuals based on their age, gender, fitness level, and health.
You may also want to read How Long Does It Take To Walk 4 Km And Calories Burned?
How Time Varies on the Basis of Age and Gender?
Individuals of the same age and fitness level often exhibit variations in their walking pace and the time it takes to complete a 3 km walk. While there isn’t a single definitive explanation for this divergence, it’s clear that gender plays a significant role.
Men, in general, tend to walk at a faster pace than women, resulting in a shorter duration to complete a 3 km walk. On average, an adult male can cover this distance in about 34 minutes, while an average healthy woman typically takes around 37 minutes to complete the same 3 km walk.
Furthermore, age also influences walking speed. Older individuals generally walk at a slower pace compared to their younger counterparts, especially during everyday activities. This variance in pace and time can be attributed to a range of factors, including physical fitness, muscle mass, and overall health.
Here are some examples of how age and gender affect walking times for a 3-mile walk:
20-29 Years Old
- Male: An average speed of 4.89 km/hr would take around 36 minutes and 48 seconds.
- Female: With an average speed of 4.82 km/hr, it would take about 37 minutes and 16 seconds.
30-39 Years Old
- Male: At an average speed of 5.14 km/hr, you could complete the 3 Km in 34 minutes and 57 seconds.
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 4.82 km/hr would mean a time of 37 minutes and 16 seconds.
40-49 Years Old
- Male: With an average speed of 5.14 km/hr, you can expect to finish in 34 minutes and 57 seconds.
- Female: An average speed of 5 km/hr, walking 3 km would take around 35 minutes and 56 seconds.
50-59 Years Old
- Male: An average speed of 5.14 km/hr results in a time of 34 minutes and 57 seconds.
- Female: At an average speed of 4.71 km/hr, it would take about 38 minutes and 11 seconds.
60-69 Years Old
- Male: With an average speed of 4.82 km/hr, you could complete the 3 km in 37 minutes and 16 seconds
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 4.45 km/hr would mean a time of 40 minutes and 23 seconds.
70-79 Years Old:
- Male: At an average speed of 4.53 km/hr, you can expect to finish in 39 minutes and 40 seconds
- Female: An average speed of 4.07 km/hr would take around 44 minutes and 12 seconds.
80-89 Years Old:
- Male: With an average speed of 3.49 km/hr, you can expect to complete the 3 km in 51 minutes and 32 seconds.
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 3.37 km/hr would mean a time of 53 minutes and 15 seconds.
Consider looking into information
What are the Factors Affecting Walking Time?
Various factors can affect the time it takes to complete a 3 km walk:
- Walking Pace: Faster walking results in less time needed.
- Terrain: Walking downhill takes less time than flat terrain, and flat terrain takes less time than uphill.
- Age Factor: Younger individuals tend to walk faster than seniors.
- Gender: Men usually walk faster than women.
- Fitness Level: Fit individuals who exercise regularly walk faster than beginners.
- Physical Health: Those who are unwell or injured may walk more slowly, requiring more time.
How Many Steps are in a 3 km Walk?
On average, both men and women take approximately 4224 steps to complete a 3 km walk. However, women tend to take shorter steps, leading to a slightly higher step count.
Average Walk (5 km/h): Walking at a pace of 12.5 minutes per kilometer, you’ll take around 1408 steps per kilometer, totaling 4224 steps for 3 km.
Brisk Walk (6.5 km/h): At a faster pace of 9.375 minutes per kilometer, you’ll take about 1209 steps per kilometer, resulting in 3627 steps for 3 km.
Here’s fascinating information How Long Does It Take To Walk 30 Km? Side Effects Of Excessive Walking
How Many Calories are Burned During the 3 Km Walk?
Walking 3 km can help you burn approximately 100 to 200 calories, depending on several factors like terrain, pace, and body weight. Notably:
- Uphill Walking (5 km/h): Burns more calories than walking on flat terrain.
- Overweight Individuals: Tend to burn more calories than those who are fit.
To give you a clearer picture, here’s a breakdown of calorie expenditure during a 3 km walk based on body weight and pace:
Weight: 100 pounds (45 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 112 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 124 calories burned
- Weight: 130 pounds (59 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 143 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 162 calories burned
Weight: 160 pounds (73 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 179 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 201 calories burned
Weight: 190 pounds (86 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 210 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 238 calories burned
Weight: 220 pounds (100 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 244 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 275 calories burned
Weight: 250 pounds (113 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 278 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 313 calories burned
Weight: 280 pounds (127 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 313 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 350 calories burned
Weight: 310 pounds (140 kg)
Moderate walk (5.6 km/h): 344 calories burned
Fast walk (7.2 km/h): 390 calories burned.
Is 3 Km Walking Daily A Beneficial Exercise?
Yes, walking 3 km daily is an excellent exercise choice for people of all ages and fitness levels. It’s a sustainable activity that can be done daily without risking injuries or fatigue. Here are some compelling reasons why a 3 km daily walk is beneficial:
- Inclusive: Suitable for all age groups, from the young to the elderly, athletes, and beginners.
- Health Benefits: Walking helps prevent and manage cardiovascular-related diseases and respiratory issues like asthma.
- Calorie Burn: Even a 3 km walk can help you burn 100 to 200 calories, contributing to weight management.
- Stress Relief: Walking is an effective stress-buster, promoting a positive mindset.
The time it takes to complete a 3 km walk, along with the calories burned, varies based on several factors. Regardless of the duration, walking 3 km daily offers numerous health benefits and is a manageable fitness goal for almost everyone.