Walking is the great way to stay active and maintain good health. Whether you’re considering a leisurely stroll or making walking a part of your daily routine, you’re likely wondering how long it takes to walk 3 miles.
The time it takes to cover this distance varies based on several factors such as your age, fitness level, and the terrain you’re traversing. Understanding the approximate time for a 3-mile walk can help you plan your exercise routine or daily commute effectively.
At a comfortable walking pace of 3 to 4 miles per hour, covering a distance of 3 miles typically requires approximately 45 minutes to an hour. This duration is quite attainable even for beginners seeking to enhance their cardiovascular fitness, shed calories, manage their weight, and maintain an active lifestyle.
How Long is 3 Miles? 3 miles is approximately equal to 4.8 kilometers or 15,840 feet. It’s considered a moderate distance, often chosen by those looking for low-impact fitness exercises.
So, let’s dive into the details of how long it takes to walk 3 miles and explore several factors that can influence your walking time.
Table of Content
How Long it Takes to Walk 3 Miles on Different Speeds?
The time it takes to walk 3 miles depends on your walking pace. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk 1 mile, which means that walking 3 miles at a constant pace will take you between 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Here’s a breakdown of the time it takes at different walking speeds:
- Slow Walk (2.5 Mph): Walking at this pace, it would take approximately 1 hour and 12 minutes to cover 3 miles.
- Easy Walk (3 Mph): At a pace of 3 km/h, you could complete the distance in 1 hour.
- Moderate Walk (4 Mph): A moderate walking speed would get you there in about 45 minutes.
- Fast Walk (5 Mph): If you can maintain a brisk pace of 5 km/h, you could finish the 3 miles walk in approximately 36 minutes.
|Walking Pace||Time to Cover 3 miles Of Walking|
|Slow Walk (2.5 Mph)||1 Hour and 12 Minutes|
|Easy Walk (3 Mph)||1 Hour|
|Moderate Walk (4 Mph)||45 Minutes|
|Fast Walk (5 Mph)||36 Minutes|
Intriguing details How Long Does It Take To Walk 50 Km? A Comprehensive Guide
How Time Varies on The Basis of Age and Gender?
Research has shown that people of different ages and genders walk at varying speeds, even when their health and fitness levels are similar. Typically, individuals in their 20s to 50s tend to walk faster than those in their 60s and beyond. Additionally, men generally walk faster than women across different age groups and fitness levels.
Here are some examples of how age and gender affect walking times for a 3-mile walk:
20-29 Years Old
- Male: An average speed of 3.04 miles/hr would take around 59 minutes.
- Female: With an average speed of 3.0 miles/hr, it would take about 1 hour.
30-39 Years Old
- Male: At an average speed of 3.2 miles/hr, you could complete the 3 miles in 56 minutes.
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 3.0 miles/hr would mean a time of 1 hour.
40-49 Years Old
- Male: With an average speed of 3.2 miles/hr, you can expect to finish in 58 minutes.
- Female: An average speed of 3.11 miles/hr, walking 3 miles would take around 56 minutes.
50-59 Years Old
- Male: An average speed of 3.2 miles/hr results in a time of 56 minutes.
- Female: At an average speed of 2.93 miles/hr, it would take about 1 hour and 01 minutes.
60-69 Years Old
- Male: With an average speed of 3.0 miles/hr, you could complete the 3 miles in 1 hour.
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 2.77 miles/hr would mean a time of 1 hour and 05 minutes.
70-79 Years Old:
- Male: At an average speed 2.82 miles/hr, you can expect to finish in 1 hour and 04 minutes
- Female: An average speed of 2.53 miles/hr would take around 1 hour and 11 minutes.
80-89 Years Old:
- Male: With an average speed of 2.17 miles/hr, you can expect to complete the 3 miles in 1 hour and 23 minutes.
- Female: Maintaining an average speed of 2.1 miles/hr would mean a time of 1 hour and 26 minutes.
As you can see, younger individuals typically take less time to complete a 3-mile walk compared to seniors. While men tend to walk faster than women, the differences are not significant.
Intriguing information How Long Does It Take To Walk 50 Miles By Gender, Age, & Time?
How Many Steps are in 3 Miles Walking?
To evaluate your walk effectively, it’s essential to know how many steps it takes to cover 3 miles. On average, walking 3 miles requires between 5,500 to 7,200 steps. This range is considered quite active, according to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
The number of steps you take is influenced by factors such as your height, gender, and walking pace.
A man who is 6 feet 4 inches tall walking at a leisurely speed of 3 miles per hour will take around 6,337 steps for a 3-mile walk. However, a man who is 5 feet tall walking at the same pace will require approximately 7,014 steps to cover 3 miles.
A man who is 5 feet 8 inches tall and walks at a leisurely pace of 3 miles per hour will take about 6,676 steps for a 3-mile walk. Similarly, a woman of the same height and pace will need roughly 6,775 steps to complete the 3-mile distance.
A man who is 5 feet 8 inches tall will take around 6,676 steps to walk 3 miles at 3 miles per hour. If he increases his pace to 4 miles per hour, the step count decreases to 5,725 steps. Walking briskly at 5 miles per hour reduces the step count even further to 5,668 steps for 3 miles.
Explore Further How Long Does It Take To Walk 500 Miles For An Average Person?
Why Is Walking 3 Miles Beneficial for You?
Walking 3 miles provides a moderate-intensity workout that contributes to your overall health and well-being. Here are some reasons why a 3-mile walk is good for you:
- Calorie Burning: Walking 3 miles burns approximately 300 calories for an average-weight person. Increasing your pace or walking uphill can further boost calorie burn.
- Heart Health: Regular walking helps keep your heart engaged and healthy, lowering your cholesterol and fat levels.
- Mental Health: Walking releases endorphins and serotonin, which improve your mood and reduce stress. Studies have shown a positive relationship between walking, even for short distances, and better sleep.
- Weight Management: Walking can aid in weight loss by helping you burn calories and improve your overall fitness.
Few Tips for Walking 3 Miles
If you’re planning to walk 3 miles and incorporating it in your daily routine, here are some tips to make the most of your experience:
- Start at Your Own Pace: Begin at a pace that you can comfortably manage to avoid injury, and then gradually increase your speed for better calorie burn.
- Incorporate Inclines: Walking uphill or including uphill segments in your walk can help you burn more calories and contribute to weight loss.
- Choose Scenic Routes: If possible, opt for natural paths and enjoy the refreshing outdoor environment.
- Walking Companions: Invite a friend, partner, or family member to join you for a more enjoyable walk.
- Timing Your Meals: Eat at least 2 hours before your walk to ensure comfort and maximize calorie burn. Focus on a healthy, balanced diet rather than junk food.
- Use Technology: Consider taking a heart rate monitor or pedometer with you to track your speed, distance, time, and calories burned.
- Keep a Record: Keep a record of your walking sessions and progress to stay motivated and maintain consistency.
In conclusion, walking 3 miles typically takes around 1 hour, though you can reduce this time significantly by increasing your walking speed. This makes it easy to incorporate into a busy schedule.
Walking this distance daily can be highly beneficial for your health, contributing to mental and heart health, calorie burn, and weight management.