Have you ever wondered how long it takes to walk 7 km? Walking this distance is a fantastic way to achieve your fitness goals, such as burning calories and staying active.
It also serves as a great foundation for building stamina and the experience to tackle longer distances.
An estimate for a healthy individual to cover a 7-kilometer distance typically falls within the range of 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 24 minutes. To put this into perspective, strolling at a leisurely 5 km per hour will have you strolling along for 1 hour and 24 minutes, while picking up the pace to 6.5 km per hour will set you complete the journey in 1 hour and 10 minutes.
However, the duration can fluctuate based on various factors, including a person’s age, gender, level of walking experience, overall fitness, the terrain they traverse, and the outdoor weather conditions.
One of the remarkable aspects of a 7 km walk is that it only demands a small amount of your time and easily integrates into most people’s daily schedules.
Table of Content
How Long Is The Distance Of 7 Km?
7 km roughly translates to 22,965.9 feet or approximately 4.35 miles. In terms of time, it typically takes around 1 hour and 24 minutes to cover this distance at an average walking speed.
Is Walking 7 Km Good Enough To Stay Fit?
The question often arises: Is walking 7 km a day a worthwhile endeavor? The answer is a resounding yes!
Walking this distance daily is commendable and reaps numerous benefits, including improving cardiovascular health, weight management, mental well-being, reducing the risk of chronic diseases, and mitigating issues like high cholesterol levels and hypertension.
Moreover, the advantages of walking tend to correlate with the step count. On average, completing a 7 km walk requires approximately 9,000 to 10,000 steps.
A 2020 study further emphasized the significance of step count, revealing that participants who averaged 8,000 steps per day enjoyed a 51% lower risk of mortality compared to those who managed only 4,000 steps.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that most individuals strive to achieve at least 10,000 steps daily, underlining the importance of an active lifestyle.
What sets a 7 km walk apart is its accessibility. It is a manageable distance that accommodates people with limited mobility and even those recovering from injuries.
Whether undertaken as a single session or broken into smaller segments, it contributes to active recovery and overall well-being.
In the sections that follow, we’ll delve into the intricacies of a 7 km walk, exploring its diverse aspects, including the significant advantages it offers:
Here’s fascinating information on How Long Does It Take To Walk 7 Miles? Factors Affecting Walking
How Long Does It Take To Cover The Distance Of 7 Km?
The speed at which you walk is pivotal in determining the time required to cover a distance of 7 km. Here are some general estimates based on different walking speeds:
- Slow Walk (4 km/h): Walking at this pace, roughly 60 to 79 steps per minute or 15 minutes per kilometer, will take around 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Easy Walk (5 km/h): An easy, comfortable stroll at 80 to 99 steps per minute or 12 minutes per kilometer will have you complete the 7 km in 1 hour and 24 minutes.
- Moderate Walk (6.5 km/h): If you’re maintaining a moderate pace of 100 to 119 steps per minute or 10 minutes per kilometer, you can expect to finish the walk in approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Fast Walk (8 km/h): For those brisk walkers who can manage 120 or more steps per minute, equivalent to a pace of 7.5 minutes per kilometer, the 9 km journey will take about 53 minutes.
|Walking Pace||Time to Cover 7 Km Of Walking|
|Slow Walk (4 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 45 minutes|
|Easy Walk (5 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 24 minutes|
|Moderate Walk (6.5 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 10 minutes|
|Fast Walk (8 Km Per Hour)||53 minutes|
What’s The Average Walking Time Based On Age and Gender?
Age and gender can also influence your walking speed. Let’s take a closer look at how these factors can affect the time it takes to walk 7 km:
20-29 Age Group:
Male: The average speed for males in this age group is 4.89 km/h, allowing them to complete 7 km in 1 hour and 26 minutes.
Female: Females of the same age range typically walk at an average speed of 4.82 km/h, requiring 1 hour and 27 minutes to cover the distance.
30-39 Age Group:
Male: Males in this age category walk at an average speed of 5.14 km/h, finishing 7 km in 1 hour and 22 minutes.
Female: Females in this age group have a similar walking time as those in the 20-29 age group, taking 1 hour and 27 minutes to walk 7 km.
40-49 Age Group:
Male: Like the 30-39 age group, males in this age range require 1 hour and 22 minutes to complete the 7 km walk.
Female: Females in this group walk slightly faster, with an average speed of 5.00 km/h, leading to a time of 1 hour and 24 minutes.
50-59 Age Group:
Male: Again, 1 hour and 22 minutes is the typical for males in this age group to walk 7 km.
Female: Females in the 50-59 age category take approximately 1 hour and 29 minutes.
60-69 Age Group:
Male: Males in this age range walk at an average speed of 4.82 km/h, requiring 1 hour and 27 minutes.
Female: Females of the same age group need about 1 hour and 34 minutes to complete the 7 km walk.
70-79 Age Group:
Male: The average speed for males in this age category is 4.53 km/h, translating to 1 hour and 33 minutes.
Female: Females in this group walk at an average speed of 4.07 km/h, leading to a time of 1 hour and 43 minutes.
80-89 Age Group:
Male: Males aged 80-89 have an average walking speed of 3.49 km/h, meaning it takes them 2 hours to cover the 7 km.
Female: Females in this age group walk slightly faster, with an average speed of 3.37 km/h, completing the walk in 2 hours and 5 minutes.
Interestingly, men tend to walk faster than women, resulting in shorter walking times. Additionally, individuals in their prime years (30s to 50s) typically walk faster than their older counterparts.
Consider delving into information about How Long Does It Take To Walk 8 Km? Factors Affecting Walking
How Long Will 7 km Take on the Treadmill?
If you prefer walking on a treadmill, the time it takes to walk 7 km also depends on the speed setting. Here’s a breakdown of the estimated times based on various treadmill speeds:
|Treadmill Speed (mph)||Km Per Hour||Time Consumption For 7 Km|
|2.5||4.00||1 Hour and 45 Minutes|
|3.0||4.82||1 Hour and 27 Minutes|
|3.1||4.99||1 Hour and 24 Minutes|
|3.2||5.15||1 Hour and 22 Minutes|
|3.3||5.31||1 Hour and 19 Minutes|
|3.4||5.48||1 Hour and 17 Minutes|
|3.5||5.63||1 Hour and 15 Minutes|
|3.6||5.80||1 Hour and 12 Minutes|
|3.7||5.95||1 Hour and 11 Minutes|
|3.8||6.11||1 Hour and 09 Minutes|
|3.9||6.27||1 Hour and 07 Minutes|
|4.0||6.44||1 Hour and 05 Minutes|
|4.1||6.60||1 Hour and 04 Minutes|
|4.2||6.76||1 Hour and 02 Minutes|
|4.3||6.92||1 Hour and 01 Minutes|
The number of steps required to cover a distance of 7 km varies depending on factors such as your stride length, walking pace, terrain, and fitness level.
On average, a person with a moderate walking pace and an average stride length of 2.5 feet (0.76 meters) will take between 11,000 and 13,000 steps to walk 7 km.
Keep in mind that the number of steps can fluctuate based on the specifics of your walk, including breaks and rest periods.
Steps To Take For Walking 7 Km
It takes around 9000 to 10000 steps to complete a 7 km walk. However, several factors influence the number of steps you take, including your height, gender, and walking pace.
- Height: Taller individuals typically take fewer steps to cover the same distance due to longer stride length.
A woman measuring 5 ft 9 inches takes 9761 steps to complete 7 km at a 5 km/h pace.
In contrast, a woman of 5 ft 2 inches takes 10190 steps to cover the same distance at the same pace.
- Gender: Men, on average, have longer strides than women, resulting in fewer steps taken for a given distance.
A woman of 5 ft 5 inches takes 10006 steps to complete a 7 km walk at a 5 km/h pace.
Conversely, a man of the same height and pace requires 9863 steps to finish 7 km.
- Walking Pace: Faster walking typically involves longer strides, leading to a lower step count per distance.
A 6 ft tall man takes 9433 steps to walk 7 km at 5 km/h.
If the same man increases his pace to 6.5 km/h, he only needs 8055 steps to cover 7 km.
The Key Benefits of Walking 7 Km a Day
Walking 7 km daily offers a plethora of health benefits:
- Solid Stamina For Longer Walks: For those aiming to tackle longer distances, a 7 km walk serves as an excellent foundation.
- Keeps You Active & Physically Fit: A 7 km walk promotes cardiovascular health, weight management, and overall fitness.
- Suitable for All Ages Groups: This low-impact exercise is accessible to individuals of all ages and activity levels.
- Stress Relief and Positivity: Walking is a proven stress-reliever and mood enhancer, promoting the release of feel-good hormones.
- Active Recovery: Walking facilitates active recovery, offering exercise benefits without straining the joints.
Tips For Walking 7 Km for Beginners
If you’re new to regular walking and 7 km sounds intimidating, follow these tips to build your endurance and make it a part of your routine:
- Start Small: Begin with shorter distances and gradually increase your walking duration.
- Set Doable Goals: Focus on time or step-based goals rather than specific distances.
- Find a Walking Buddy: Walking with a friend makes the experience enjoyable and provides accountability.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Choose supportive and well-fitting shoes to prevent foot injuries.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: Bring water and stay hydrated, especially on hot and sunny days.
- Listen to Your Body Signals: Pay attention to how you feel during your walks and adjust your pace if needed.
- Enjoy the Process: Use this time to clear your mind and appreciate your surroundings.
Walking is a low-impact exercise suitable for individuals of all fitness levels. With patience and consistency, you can make walking 7 km a regular part of your routine, reaping the health benefits of this simple yet effective exercise.
Walking 7 km typically takes around 1 hour and 24 minutes. However, your walking pace and other factors can influence this duration.
Regardless, incorporating a 7 km walk into your daily routine is a great way to stay fit, burn calories, and manage your weight. Walking offers numerous health benefits and is a fantastic form of exercise that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels.