Walking 9 km is an achievable feat with a myriad of benefits for your physical and mental well-being.
Whether you aim to shed some calories, enhance your cardiovascular health, or simply enjoy a stroll, knowing how long it takes to walk 9 km can help you plan your walking journey effectively.
Specifically, 9 Km equals 5.6 miles and 29527 feet.
A ballpark estimate for a healthy individual to cover a 9-kilometer distance typically falls within the range of 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 48 minutes. To put this into perspective, strolling at a leisurely 5 kilometers per hour will have you ambling along for 1 hour and 48 minutes, while picking up the pace to 6.5 kilometers per hour will see you complete the journey in1 hour and 30 minutes.
Let’s break down the factors influencing the time it takes to complete this distance and provide you with essential insights.
Table of Content
How Long Does It Take To Cover The Distance Of 9 Km?
The speed at which you walk is pivotal in determining the time required to cover a distance of 9 km. Here are some general estimates based on different walking speeds:
- Slow Walk (4 km/h): Walking at this pace, roughly 60 to 79 steps per minute or 15 minutes per kilometer, will take around 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Easy Walk (5 km/h): An easy, comfortable stroll at 80 to 99 steps per minute or 12 minutes per kilometer will have you complete the 9 km in 1 hour and 48 minutes.
- Moderate Walk (6.5 km/h): If you’re maintaining a moderate pace of 100 to 119 steps per minute or 10 minutes per kilometer, you can expect to finish the walk in approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Fast Walk (8 km/h): For those brisk walkers who can manage 120 or more steps per minute, equivalent to a pace of 7.5 minutes per kilometer, the 9 km journey will take about 1 hour and 8 minutes.
|Walking Pace||Time to Cover 9 Km Of Walking|
|Slow Walk (4 Km Per Hour)||2 hours and 15 minutes|
|Easy Walk (5 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 48 minutes|
|Moderate Walk (6.5 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 30 minutes|
|Fast Walk (8 Km Per Hour)||1 hour and 8 minutes|
Here’s fascinating information about How Long Does It Take to Walk 8 Miles? Health Benefits and More
What’s The Average Walking Time Based On Age and Gender?
Age and gender can also influence your walking speed. Let’s take a closer look at how these factors can affect the time it takes to walk 9 km:
- 20-29 Age Group:
Male: The average speed for males in this age group is 4.89 km/h, allowing them to complete 9 km in 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Female: Females of the same age range typically walk at an average speed of 4.82 km/h, requiring 1 hour and 52 minutes to cover the distance.
- 30-39 Age Group:
Male: Males in this age category walk at an average speed of 5.14 km/h, finishing 9 km in 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Female: Females in this age group have a similar walking time as those in the 20-29 age group, taking 1 hour and 52 minutes to walk 9 km.
- 40-49 Age Group:
Male: Like the 30-39 age group, males in this age range require 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the 9 km walk.
Female: Females in this group walk slightly faster, with an average speed of 5.00 km/h, leading to a time of 1 hour and 48 minutes.
- 50-59 Age Group:
Male: Again, 1 hour and 45 minutes is the typical for males in this age group to walk 9 km.
Female: Females in the 50-59 age category take approximately 1 hour and 55 minutes.
- 60-69 Age Group:
Male: Males in this age range walk at an average speed of 4.82 km/h, requiring 1 hour and 52 minutes.
Female: Females of the same age group need about 2 hours and 1 minute to complete the 9 km walk.
- 70-79 Age Group:
Male: The average speed for males in this age category is 4.53 km/h, translating to 1 hour and 59 minutes.
Female: Females in this group walk at an average speed of 4.07 km/h, leading to a time of 2 hours and 13 minutes.
- 80-89 Age Group:
Male: Males aged 80-89 have an average walking speed of 3.49 km/h, meaning it takes them 2 hours and 35 minutes to cover the 9 km.
Female: Females in this age group walk slightly faster, with an average speed of 3.37 km/h, completing the walk in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Consider delving into information about How Long Does It Take To Walk 9 Miles A Day And Calories Burn?
How Long Will 9 km Take on the Treadmill?
If you prefer walking on a treadmill, the time it takes to walk 9 km also depends on the speed setting. Here’s a breakdown of the estimated times based on various treadmill speeds:
|Treadmill Speed (mph)||Km Per Hour||Time Consumption For 9 Km|
|2.5||4.00||2 Hours and 15 Minutes|
|3.0||4.82||1 Hour and 52 Minutes|
|3.1||4.99||1 Hour and 48 Minutes|
|3.2||5.15||1 Hour and 45 Minutes|
|3.3||5.31||1 Hour and 42 Minutes|
|3.4||5.48||1 Hour and 39 Minutes|
|3.5||5.63||1 Hour and 36 Minutes|
|3.6||5.80||1 Hour and 33 Minutes|
|3.7||5.95||1 Hour and 31 Minutes|
|3.8||6.11||1 Hour and 28 Minutes|
|3.9||6.27||1 Hour and 26 Minutes|
|4.0||6.44||1 Hour and 24 Minutes|
|4.1||6.60||1 Hour and 22 Minutes|
|4.2||6.76||1 Hour and 20 Minutes|
|4.3||6.92||1 Hour and 18 Minutes|
|4.4||7.00||1 Hour and 17 Minutes|
|4.5||7.24||1 Hour and 15 Minutes|
|5.0||8.04||1 Hour and 7 Minutes|
The number of steps required to cover a distance of 9 km varies depending on factors such as your stride length, walking pace, terrain, and fitness level.
On average, a person with a moderate walking pace and an average stride length of 2.5 feet (0.76 meters) will take between 11,000 and 13,000 steps to walk 9 km. Keep in mind that the number of steps can fluctuate based on the specifics of your walk, including breaks and rest periods.
What Are The Benefits Of Walking 9 Km?
Walking 9 km offers a plethora of advantages for your physical and mental health. Here’s a closer look at the benefits you can anticipate:
- Appropriate Cardiovascular Health: Walking 9 km increases your heart rate and blood circulation, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Endurance and Stamina: Regular walking improves your stamina, making it easier to perform daily activities and exercise for longer durations.
- Eliminate Stress and Anxiety: Walking reduces stress levels, improves mood, and promotes relaxation, positively impacting your mental health.
- Weight Loss and Management: A 9 km walk can burn a significant number of calories, aiding in weight loss and management.
- Stronger Physical Health: Walking contributes to bone density and muscle strength, reducing the risk of osteoporosis and falls.
- Smooth Metabolism: Walking enhances digestion and metabolism, promoting weight loss and overall health.
- Lowered Risk of Chronic Diseases: Regular walking reduces the risk of chronic diseases, for example, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s.
In addition to these physical benefits, walking 9 km also provides mental and emotional benefits such as improved self-esteem, reduced stress levels, and better sleep quality. So, if you have the time and energy to walk 9 km, it can be a great way to improve your health and well-being.
Tips For Walking 9 Km
If you’re planning to embark on a 9 km walk, here are some helpful tips to prepare and make the most of your journey:
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Choose well-fitting walking shoes to avoid blisters or discomfort. Avoid wearing new shoes on longer walks.
- Appropriate Get-Up: Opt for comfortable, breathable clothing and consider layers if the weather is cold or subject to change.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: Bring a water bottle and drink regularly during your walk to stay hydrated.
- Fuel Your Body: Consume a healthy meal or snack before your walk to provide the energy your body needs. Consider bringing a small snack for the journey.
- Have A GPS Tracker: Select a safe and enjoyable route with suitable walking surfaces and minimal traffic. Use a map or GPS to track your progress.
- Take Mindful Breaks: Regular breaks for rest, stretching, and hydration can help prevent fatigue and injury.
- Listen to Your Body Needs: Pay attention to your body’s signals during the walk and adjust your pace or route if needed. If you experience pain or discomfort, take rest and seek medical attention if necessary.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a safe, comfortable, and fulfilling 9 km walk. Remember to start at your own pace, listen to your body, and savor the scenery.
Various factors, including walking speed, terrain, individual fitness level, age, and gender influence the time it takes to walk 9 km. Nevertheless, regardless of the time it takes, walking remains an excellent form of exercise with a multitude of health benefits.
Whether you walk for exercise, transportation, or leisure, making walking a part of your daily routine is a positive step toward a healthier and more active lifestyle.
Read Next: How Long Does It Take To Walk Half A Mile?